How do I Give an Incomplete Grade?

Incomplete grades may be given by instructors to students who cannot continue in class because of extenuating circumstances beyond their control (such as serious illness, death in the family, or change of employment) with proper documentation. The following are some of the guidelines to be followed:

  • The student must be passing the course at the time of the Incomplete grade request.
  • A substantial portion of a course must be completed before an Incomplete is given. A substantial portion of a course is generally defined as 70%; however, the final decision is based on the instructor's discretion.
  • Upon receiving an Incomplete grade, the student must work directly with the instructor to create a contract indicating required work and time limits for completing the course. The contract should specify (a) required work to be completed and/or tests to be taken, and (b) time allowed for requirements to be completed. Suggested time period is six months, however the time may not exceed one year from the time the Incomplete grade was received.
  • The student does not re-register for the class, students should work directly with the instructor to complete the contract.
  • The student who fails to fulfill the contract by the determined completion date or within one year of when the Incomplete was received will (a) have their 'I' grade changed to the grade of 'E' (failing), and (b) be required to retake the class in order to receive credit. Faculty must submit a grade change to when the student has completed the requirements of the course.

For more information, contact your department or the Office of the Registrar at 801-957-4288.